Fourth Monkey’s Impact on the Arts
As a registered charity and as part of the cultural foundations that Fourth Monkey was built upon since its inception in 2010, we have made a commitment to support the creative development of our partner organisations, student alumni, artistic partners and our local and wider community. Each year we collaborate with other charities, arts organisations, theatres, individual artists and creatives. We may be small, but our impact is mighty.
The People’s Pavilion – London’s first community space designed entirely by young people
Fourth Monkey Actor Training Company has joined forces with Beyond the Box Consultants, Here East and The Royal Institute of British Architects to launch The People’s Pavilion – London’s first community space designed entirely by young people.
The People’s Pavilion is a competition that seeks to flip the script on who gets a say in the design of public space. It invites young people to work in partnership with professionals from the design, construction and creative arts industries, to design and build their own Pavilion on the Here East site. Young people will also curate and host a festival programme of cultural activities to take place within it.
During the course of the 12-month programme, young East Londoners will gain access to skill workshops in design, architecture, engineering, cultural programming, communication training, team building and much more. It will expose them to new career pathways and networks that will support them as they shape their future careers.
Fourth Monkey will be collaborating with the project team to provide a series of skills workshops focusing on confident communication, using the principles of actor training to help the young East Londoners involved in the competition, present and pitch their design ideas. Fourth Monkey understand the power and value in training young people to be confident communicators, learning how to take up space in their environment. It’s the same philosophy we use when working with professionals, such as qualified Architects through our corporate training programmes, using powerful storytelling techniques, developing presentation skills and creativity at work.
We will be producing a GUIDE at the end of the project, to provide the design and construction sector with the first tried and tested framework for engaging in meaningful co-design with young people. Using insights and data collected over the course of the year, The GUIDE will provide a set of practical tools explaining how to reach out and engage with the youth community in meaningful placemaking and cultural programming.
Click the link in the red box below to visit the website and find out more.
Inspiring a new generation
- We deliver sixty FREE Schools Workshops across the UK each year, working with over 1,000 young people. Our workshops take our industry-leading training to the door step of Schools
- We deliver twelve FREE Taster Workshops each year, providing in excess of 300 people with the opportunity to experience what Actor Training at Fourth Monkey is all about from our London base
- A commitment to deliver five FREE regional auditions across the UK in collaboration with theatre venues and colleges, delivering on our commitment to make auditioning for actor training genuinely accessible to all
Supporting aspiring actors
- FREE auditions for all at Fourth Monkey Actor Training Company – we’re a 100% audition fee free Drama School
- We have a travel bursary scheme for those who need it most, enabling prospective students the ability to travel to London for their audition at Fourth Monkey
- A commitment to offer part of fully funded scholarships for students who need them most each year – we’ve awarded in excess of £220,000 in scholarships since 2010
Supporting the wider arts community
- We collaborate with independent arts organisations to support their publicly funded work. An example of this is our work in supporting Six Foot Stories and their Arts Council England funded project, providing the organisation the opportunity to work with our actors in training who go on to perform at Boomtown as professional artists, an independent immersive five-day theatrical music festival held annually near Winchester. The actors also go on to work with Six Foot Stories during the Vault Festival in London, receiving continued professional employment and development post study through these established professional contacts and relationships
- We offer discounted and free hire rates each year, to the value of £120,000, to other charities, arts organisations and our graduate alumni
- We collaborate with local arts institutions such as London Screen Academy, providing their students in training the chance to work with trained actors
- We consciously collaborate with small and emerging arts organisations during our actor training programme, supporting their development and growth mounting student productions at Fourth Monkey
- We are proud to be part of Islington Council’s 11 by 11 cultural programme, meaning we are part of a wider network of cultural organisations offering young people living in the borough an opportunity to access a variety of free cultural experiences before they reach Year 11 (16 years old). As part of this programme, we have offered free schools workshops, free tickets to our students’ performances, plus a variety of work experience placements at Fourth Monkey
- We collaborated with the children and young people’s theatre-focused charity Mousetrap on their #MousetrapMonologueSlam competition, offering the winner an opportunity to experience a full day sampling and learning more about actor training with Fourth Monkey at our London training base
- We take part in London Pride each year along with our students, celebrating the diversity that what makes our industry so special
- We collaborate on project developments with partner charities, submitting funding applications with partners such as the mental health charity Islington Mind, racial equality charity Every Voice, and many more.
If you’d like to discuss a project idea or collaboration with Fourth Monkey, please contact the team on email@example.com.